Basic Function: Responsible for various aspects of food handling and preparation following the Enchantment Group standards. Assist other cooks as needed. Adhere to sanitation practices. Responsible for the day to day operation of the food pantry and their respective work station. Must have excellent interpersonal skills to work on a team.
75% COOKING/PREP: Details vary depending on station/area assigned:
- Produce the finest quality product on a consistent basis. Responsible for the entire set-up and mise en place for respective station(s). Responsible for ensuring the freshness and quality of all food products, including proper rotation of all food items in workstation mise en place and kitchen.
- Ensure the proper storage of product (especially fresh produce), and maintain portion control and quality. Visually inspect, select and use only the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats and other food products of the highest standard in the preparation of all menu items.
- Prepare all Pantry food items according to standard Pantry recipes or as otherwise specified by supervisor/ lead pantry to ensure consistency of product to guests (requires transportation of heavy food products).
- Keep the Food Pantry clean. This includes the breakdown of cardboard boxes for recycling, keep clean all shelves in walk in and refrigerators, organization of walk in on a daily basis and based on deliveries. Responsible for the cleaning of your work station to include hand wash sink, refrigerators, freezers.
- Expedite service period as needed to ensure smooth and seamless operation between kitchen production, server pickup and ultimate guest delivery. Assist in banquet preparation and pickups when requested by Supervisor / lead pantry
- Maintain a workstation that is neat, safe and clean by utilizing proper handling and storage procedures of station mise en place
- Knows all menu items from respective areas and its ingredients
- Responsible for all record keeping requirements as mandated by food safety program, including complete and accurate daily food safety log, replenishment of blank logs and delegation of logs when business volumes dictate.
- Inspect all coolers when needed to check for Food Safety violation (including but not limited to expired product, time-temperature abuse, improper label/dating/wrapping of products). Report any unsafe working/food safety conditions to Culinary Management as well as Engineering team as needed to bring said conditions under control
- Must attend to mandatory culinary meetings to ensure communication between management and employees.
- Communicate to Supervisor / Lead Pantry any potential problems or concerns in order to rectify the problem in a timely fashion. Responsible for communicating with co-workers and supervisors on each shift of any problems or concerns.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, staff may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the Resort. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the Resort:
- Consult with supervisor on a daily basis, included checking in and out with other departments that are directly related to the Culinary and Food & Beverage departments.
- Assist and support the culinary banquet team in case of banquet or catering event on property.
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Executive Chef & Sous Chefs
High school or equivalent education required. Minimum of two years experience in a similar capacity in a full-service fine dining restaurant or four-star or higher hotel/resort. Additional experience considered where applicable to responsibilities. Possess the following knowledge, good leadership skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities: Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace. Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process. Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written. Use of Resort-approved communication devices (radio, pager, earpiece, etc.). Ability to read recipes and follow their instructions. Basic math computational capability including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Read and employ math skills for following recipes. Good working knowledge of the fundamentals of cold food preparation. Ability to make rational decisions in a timely manner and take action to support standards and customer satisfaction. Must be willing to work occasional weekend and evening hours. Maintain current food handler certification.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature generally is moderate and controlled by Resort environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10°F) and kitchens ( 110°F), possibly for one hour or more.
- Walking and standing is required during most of the workday. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the pantry kitchen. Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
- The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other locations of the Resort on a timely basis
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near and color vision and depth perception.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.