Midwest Market Group Sales Manager
Basic Function: Selling properties to group clients to exceed room night/revenue objectives. Acquire and maintain accounts that produce the most profitable business for our properties within assigned market segments/territories as well as work to ensure that external and internal clients are satisfied with the product and service.
Candidate must be located in the Midwest.
- Contact businesses / organizations in defined geographic or market areas through direct outside sales efforts for the purpose of securing business for the Hotel / Resort properties to ensure that pre-determined sales expectations are met / exceeded
- Use sales system at 'expert level' for concentrated market penetration, reporting on specific strategies and effectiveness, utilizing support services as needed. Log all information in sales system and maintain accurate / current files
- Employ excellent communication and listening skills to qualify accounts and clients through a minimum of 25 sales calls per day
- Research, identify, analyze and develop new business opportunities
- Use Social Media and other research and prospecting tools available (internet, periodicals, etc.) to prospect intelligently and 'map' accounts
- Manage current accounts / clientele to ensure continued profitability
- Plan and execute sales trips to feeder cities, trade shows and inbound property FAM trips
- Conduct site inspections with potential accounts and industry professionals
- Conduct direct solicitation and in-person sales calls on assigned / established accounts and potential new accounts, selling all property space and services in an accurate fashion
- Continuously grow knowledge of resorts and area infrastructures, allowing for better communication of options and benefits to potential clients
- Promptly respond to all inquiries and correspondence from customers, prospects, and designated representation firms
- Research, negotiate and answer incoming group requests with the company's best interest in mind
- Use consultative selling approach to ensure all aspects of the group's program is addressed appropriately, adapting approach in soliciting / contacting clients as needed for result-producing prospecting
- Prepare accurate proposals, cost estimates and contracts
- Work with accounting department to provide proper documentation to establish client billing
- Develop new / customized promotions or packages and submit recommendations to the Director of Sales / Marketing for review and approval
- Disseminate important client information to all applicable departments / staff
- Stay abreast of industry trends and make recommendations of changes which would affect all aspects of company / property profitability
- Conduct Hotel / Resort tours and entertains qualified potential clients in accordance with the company and property policies
- Involve active participation in industry and civic organizations representing opportunities for business
- Provide weekly schedule, weekly production reports, quarterly review of business plan, pre and post trip reports, expense reports, etc., as requested by Director of Sales / Marketing
- Maintain close operation with other departments in arranging accommodation, services, and special events for clients
- Participate in Sales / Marketing department meetings
- Maintain flexible schedule including weekends, evening and early morning hours and holidays, modifying hours as needed to ensure best sales efforts
- Other duties as assigned
Supervision Exercised: May supervise one or more administrative assistants / sales representatives
Supervision Received: Corporate Director of Sales
Responsibility & Authority:
- Deal effectively with all departments and regular communication with appropriate manager
- Ensure that group / guests have a positive experience and take necessary steps to correct deficiencies
- Negotiate room blocks, room rates, function space, food and beverage prices, and Hotel / Resort services within approved departmental booking guidelines
- Confirm in writing to the client and all affected Hotel / Resort departments all group requirements via group sales contract, corporate rate agreement, or catering event order
- Must be located in the Midwest market
- Bachelor's degree from four-year College or university; or equivalent related work-related experience.
- Minimum 2 years Group Sales Manager experience in a high-end full-service hotel/resort.
- Must practice superior sales skills that result in closing of sales and ensures building and maintaining of professional business relations.
- Must have proven track record for anticipating and following through on leads to maximize sales.
- Ability to problem solve and follow through to ensure client needs/expectations are exceeded and handle conflict.
- Must have strong organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be able to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with ease.
- Strong computer skills and hospitality systems experience required and advanced knowledge of Delphi.fdc, and IDeaS RMS a plus.
- Ability to travel, and project a professional self-image. Must have the ability to work productively with internal sales staff and other operating departments.
- Ability to handle obstacles in a positive and professional manner and to effectively communicate these problems, along with suggested solutions to immediate supervisor.
- Strong guest and team member relations skills. Strong ability to adapt to change.
10% walking and standing
Lifting/carrying up to 20 lbs.
Hearing and manual dexterity
Distance vision 1-3 feet
Ability to work in all types of weather conditions
Ability to drive a car/golf cart