Responsible for specifics aspects of food handling and preparation. The Line cook is the person in charge of the station assigned by his supervisor/manager. Adhere to sanitation practices. Responsible for the day to day operation of his respective work station. Must have good interpersonal skills to work on a team and good self-motivation and discipline.
75% COOKING/PREP: Details vary depending on station/area assigned:
- Responsibilities include, cooking processes such as respect of recipes, organization and cleanliness of assigned working station. Organization and preparation of menu items to open on time.
- Responsible for the entire set-up and mise en place for assigned station.Responsible for ensuring the freshness and the quality of all food products. Cook Menu items with speed and efficiency.
- Must be proficient at his assigned workstation for assigned restaurant. Must be available to work any station as business levels require.
- Responsible for the freshness and quality of all food products on the line, including proper rotation of all food items in workstation mise en place and kitchen.Must have knowledge of degrees of doneness of meats.
- Expedite service period as needed to ensure smooth and seamless operation for your respective and assigned station. Responsible of to maintain ticket times based on Management expectations. Checks Final product from your station before it is delivered to the customer to ensure proper preparation, plating and presentation
- Maintain a workstation that is neat, safe and clean by utilizing proper handling and storage procedures of station mise en place. Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that standards and regulations are followed.
- Assist in banquet preparation and pickups when requested by Supervisor/Manager.
- Produce the finest quality product on a consistent basis
- Knows all menu items from respective restaurant and its ingredients
- Report any unsafe working/food safety conditions to Culinary Management as well as Engineering team as needed to bring said conditions under control.
- Inspect respective refrigerators and freezers on a daily basis to ensure the respect of Food Safety and health department standards. These can include, but are not limited to expired product, time-temperature abuse, improper label/dating/wrapping of products.
- Must attend to mandatory culinary meetings to ensure communication between management and employees.
- Communicate to lead cook or supervisor any potential problems or concerns in order to rectify the problem in a timely fashion.
- Responsible for communicating with co-workers and lead cooks on each shift of any problems or concerns.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the Resort:
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Executive Chef
High school diploma or equivalent and at least 1 year of kitchen experience necessary. The individual must possess the following knowledge, good leadership skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities: Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace. Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process. Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written. Use of Resort-approved communication devices (radio, pager, earpiece, etc.). Ability to read recipes and follow their instructions. Must have ability to read and understand tickets. Must have the ability to delegate tasks if necessary based on level of business. Basic math computational capability including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Ability to work under little direct supervision and be accountable for. Ability to deal with problems and resolve them efficiently. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and hot environment. Must maintain current food handler’s certification.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature generally is moderate and controlled by Resort environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10°F) and kitchens (+110°F), possibly for one hour or more.
- Walking and standing is required during most of the workday. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the kitchen. Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
- The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other locations of the Resort on a timely basis
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near and color vision and depth perception.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.